We are a global operator of essential infrastructure
We have developed programmes for the identification, control and reduction of emissions associated with our activity. We also apply energy efficiency measures and offset part of our emissions mainly through the Red Eléctrica Forest.
Direct emissions (SCOPE 1)
- Stationary combustion: derived from the use of fuel in backup electricity generators.
- Mobile Combustion: derived from fuel consumption in fleet vehicles.
- Fugitive emissions:
- SF6 gas leaks (from gas insulated switchgear and armoured substations).
- Leakage of refrigerants in air conditioning units at facilities, in the data collection process for analysis.
Indirect emissions – Energy indirect (SCOPE 2)
- Consumption of electricity in installations/facilities.
- Emissions derived from energy losses in the transmission grid.
Indirect emissions (SCOPE 3)
- Carbon footprint associated with the value chain.
- Emissions associated with business travel. Calculated for trips by train and plane.
- Emissions associated with the transfer of materials between different workplaces (logistics).
- Other: emissions associated with REE events.
- Emissions from employee travel to the workplace.
- Inventory of CO2 emissions of Red Eléctrica de España, S.A.U.: scope and methodology. PDF 230 KB.
- Inventory of CO2 emissions of Red Eléctrica de España, S.A.U. PDF 275 KB.
- Independent assurance report on the 2013 greenhouse gas emissions inventory. PDF 2.88 MB.
- Inventory of CO2 emissions of Red Eléctrica de España, S.A.U.: scope and methodology. PDF 225 KB.
- Independent assurance report on the 2014 greenhouse gas emissions inventory. PDF 3.57 MB.
- Inventory of CO2 emissions of Red Eléctrica de España, S.A.U.: scope and methodology. PDF 211 KB.
- Independent assurance report on the 2015 greenhouse gas emissions inventory. PDF 4.53 MB.
The main direct emissions derived from our activities are sulphur hexafluoride (SF6), which in terms of CO2 represents over 98% of total direct emissions calculated. We carry out the following actions to minimise these emissions:
- Control, inventory and management of SF6 gas.
- Training of all personnel involved in the management of SF6 gas.
- Replacement of SF6 management equipment and measurement equipment for more efficient equipment. The emissions savings of the new equipment is estimated at 1000 t of CO2 per year.
- Improved leak detection: acquisition of new pressure gauges and camera to detect leaks.
- Participation in the research project EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) on SF6 matters.
Red Eléctrica has created the brand "Red Eléctrica efficient" to identify all internal initiatives that promote energy efficiency in the Company. The main lines of work in progress are:
- Sustainable Mobility Plan: mobility measures such as a new shuttle bus service to transport employees, implementation of a computer application to facilitate the use of car sharing, reation of a financial assistance grant programme for the purchase of efficient vehicles along with the installation of more charging points at the regional head offices, provision of a fleet of efficient vehicles for use by employees in their work-related movements, public transport card to encourage the use of public transportation, use of efficient taxis and provision of training on efficient driving, etc.
- Reduction of electricity consumption in work centres, through the installation of energy management equipment, the performance of energy audits, and the installation of mechanisms for a more efficient consumption.
- Establishment of a minimum B rating in the construction criteria of new buildings.
- Certification of the building energy management system according to ISO 50001:2011.
- Reduction of electricity consumption in substations by optimizing lighting equipment and its control by remote means.
- Efficiency in computer systems by replacing them with more efficient equipment.
- Employee awareness campaigns.
Conoce Red Eléctrica eficiente (Available only in Spanish).
As part of our commitment to fight climate change, one of our actions is directed to offsetting our emissions. Currently this offsetting is carried out through the "Red Eléctrica Forest", a reforestation project in different areas of Spain. Additionally, we calculate the emissions associated with our corporate events through a methodology and a bespoke measurement tool based on the most internationally recognized standards: the Public Available Specification (PAS 2050) and the GHG Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard. The 2013 shareholders' meeting was the first event that we have calculated and offset through the purchase of Certified Emission Reduction (CER) carbon credits.
Red Eléctrica offsets the carbon footprint of its 2014 General Shareholders’ Meeting via a project in China (Brief news).
Red Eléctrica offsets the carbon footprint of its 2013 Annual General Shareholders' Meeting with an energy project in Guatemala (Press release).