Excellence and certifications
The Group has as a pillar of its corporate culture to achieve business excellence models by applying efficient and sustainable management.
The Group's commitment to excellence is validated by obtaining external certifications from certifying entities of recognised prestige, which guarantee that the organisation successfully implements certifiable management systems in the execution of its activities. Similarly, the Group has quality systems certified in accordance with the ISO 9001 standard in the main subsidiaries of the Group.
Noteworthy is the certification of the international standard UNE-ISO 19650-1 and two related to Information Management Systems for construction of buildings and civil engineering works, which use the Building Information Modelling (BIM) collaborative work methodology in the construction project of the Salto de Chira pumped storage hydroelectric power station in Gran Canaria.
Red Eléctrica adopted the EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management) excellence model in 1999 as a tool to achieve enhanced performance in the Company’s management and since then, it has conducted external evaluations regularly as required by this model.
Red Eléctrica has maintained the validity of the European Excellence 500+ Seal granted by EFQM through 2020, after the external evaluation carried out in 2017 in which it scored over 700 points.
Following the publication of the EFQM 2020 model, Red Eléctrica has developed a project to assess the degree of adaptation to the new 2020 model as a reference framework in the process of transforming the organisation, prior to the external assessment that is scheduled to be carried out in 2022
- 2020: Red Eléctrica has maintained the validity of the European Excellence 500+ Seal.
- 2019: Red Eléctrica was presented with the 1st National Award for Excellent, Innovative and Sustainable Management, awarded by the Club Excelencia en Gestión, which is EFQM’s representative in Spain.
- 2019: Red Eléctrica maintained the validity of the European Excellence 500+ Seal granted by EFQM.
- 2018 y 2019: Red Eléctrica was recognised with the distinction of ‘Ambassador of European Excellence’ awarded by the Club Excelencia en la Gestión, which is EFQM’s representative in Spain.
- 2017: Red Eléctrica renews the EFQM European Seal of Excellence 500+. It is one of the three Spanish organisations that exceed 700 points.
- 2016: Red Eléctrica maintains in good standing the European Seal of Excellence 500+ and a 2016-2017 Excellence Plan has been prepared, which contains 46 improvement measures based on the excellence assessment report drafted in 2015.
- 2015: Red Eléctrica renews the European Seal of Excellence 500+, in accordance with the EFQM 2013 model, achieving more than 700 points.
- 2015: The project ‘Birds and power lines. Mapping of bird flight paths’, good practice ‘Highly Commended’ by the EFQM 2015.
- 2014: Red Eléctrica maintains in good standing the Seal of Excellence 500+ renewed in 2013. Recognition awarded by the Club de Excelencia en Gestión.
- 2013: Red Eléctrica renews the European Seal of Excellence 500+, in accordance with the EFQM 2013 model, achieving 678 points.
- 2011: Red Eléctrica presents its candidacy to the European Award for Business Excellence EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management), obtaining 650 points. The presentation of the candidacy resulted in Red Eléctrica receiving an award in the category 'Taking responsibility for a sustainable future'. It is the first time that the Company presented its candidacy to these awards; considered as the most important European excellence indicator regarding business excellence. In addition to the award, the EFQM has acknowledged Red Eléctrica’s management as ‘good practice’, not only in the winning category, but also in a further 2 categories: ‘Achieving Balanced Results’ and ‘Adding Value for Customers’.
- 2005: Red Eléctrica is granted the Prince Felipe Award for Business Excellence in the Industrial Quality category. This award has become the most prestigious distinction for business excellence in Spain.
- 2003: Red Eléctrica becomes the the first Spanish electricity company to obtain the European Seal of Excellence 500+, granted by the Club Excelencia en Gestión, the EFQM Primary Partner in Spain. This biennial recognition has been renewed in subsequent years.
- 2002: Red Eléctrica obtains the ‘Madrid Excelente’ seal, awarded by the Community of Madrid to those companies that are committed to innovation and continuous improvement, the satisfaction of society and the active contribution to economic and social development. This seal has been renewed in subsequent years.
- 2001: Red Eléctrica submits itself to the first external evaluation in accordance with the EFQM model, obtaining the European Seal of Excellence +400, granted by the Club Excelencia en Gestión
- 1999: Red Eléctrica adopts the European model; EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management.
We design and implement certifiable management systems for all activities within the scope of the corporate world and seek recognition of these by certification authorities that are established in international circles.
Red Eléctrica has its Quality Management System implemented and certified since 1999 and is applied to all its business activities.
The Quality Management System is based on an approach focused on processes and products, and in the quest for satisfaction of their stakeholders, all with the guideline to pursue continuous improvement that ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of the activities the organisation.
Red Eléctrica de España has an Environmental Management System in place since 1999 certified in accordance with the UNE-EN ISO 14001 standard and which covers the entire scope of its activity.
In addition, since 2001, the Company has maintained, without interruption and with the same scope, its adherence to the Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) and to the Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1505 of 28 August 2017, becoming the first company in the Spanish electric utilities sector to be included in the EMAS register.
The thoroughness of the EMAS requirements exceeds that of the requirements set out in the UNE-EN ISO 14001 environmental standard, currently being the most demanding environmental management certification in Europe. Among the EMAS requirements, noteworthy is the obligatory nature to make available to the public periodic environmental statements that must be validated by an independent environmental verifier and to inform stakeholders and society at large of the Company’s environmental performance. Red Eléctrica de España publishes its Environmental Statement annually.
To mark the 20th anniversary of the creation of EMAS, in 2015 the European Commission presented Red Eléctrica with the Silver Commemorative Certificate for being registered for more than 10 years and having constantly complied with EMAS requirements.
Red Eléctrica has an occupational health and safety administration system implemented, and certified under the OHSAS 18001 International Standard.
The OHSAS Certification (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series) endorses the work carried out by Red Eléctrica regarding the prevention of occupational risks, and leads to ensuring that the Company continuously applies the most demanding occupational health and safety prevention criteria, over and above current legislation.
In 2009, Red Eléctrica obtained the EFR certificate (Work-life balance and equality life balance Certification).
The EFR certificate is promoted by the Fundación Másfamilia and supported by the Ministry of Health and Social Policy, and recognises those organisations that are involved in the generation of a new ‘working culture’ by incorporating a comprehensive management system that allows an efficient balance between the realm of work and family/personal life, based on flexibility, mutual respect and commitment.
In 2009, Red Eléctrica de España obtained the Corporate Responsibility Management System certificate pursuant to the RS10 Guide: AENOR’s Social Responsibility Management System. In 2012, the RS10 Standard was replaced by the SR10 IQNet International Standard which was developed by IQNet (International Certification Network.
This standard establishes the requirements to be met by the social responsibility management system.
In 2011, Red Eléctrica obtained the Energy Management System Certificate, in accordance with the UNE-EN 50001 Standard, for the energy management activities of the buildings that make up the Company’s Head Office.
The certification of an energy management system ensures systematic control and monitoring of energy aspects and the continuous improvement in energy performance. This contributes to more efficient and sustainable energy use, providing confidence in the management system.
Red Eléctrica has obtained thin 2020 the UNE 19601 "Criminal Compliance Management Systems" certification, which establishes the requirements to prevent, detect and manage criminal risks, complying with legislation and other commitments voluntarily acquired by the organisation.
Red Eléctrica has obtained in 2020 the ISO 37001 international standard certification "Anti-bribery management systems" which establishes the requirements to prevent, detect and manage bribery risks, complying with legislation and other commitments acquired voluntarily by the organisation.